What effect does the media have on individual political beliefs and voting behavior?
Should there be a limit on how much access the public has to media? Why or why not?
Do you think the media is a good place to
Please answer one of the following questions. Do you think American campaigns would generate more or less excitement and voter turnout if they were considerably shorter?
Is it really possible for candidates and parties to explain their platforms and present their candidates in a couple of weeks?
Political Parties: Chapter 9
Questions compliments of 2nd period.
How do you think it would impact politics and American society if a third part won the presidency?
Do you think you would be a part of a different political party if like many European nations, we had several major political parties instead of just two?
Today we talked about the different types of interest groups. Some of the information is found in Ch 8 of your textbook. Question to respond to:
1. Do you believe that interest groups are a good way for people to be connected to lawmaking , or are interest groups just elitist groups?
Answer one of the following questions:
1. Do you believe a national service requirement would improve young people’s connection to politics and to the country? Why or why not?
2. You have no doubt heard the phrase, “with rights come responsibilities.” What responsibilities do you have as a resident of your community, of your state, and of the nation?
Why does discrimination against groups exist in the United States? Do you believe our tendency to discriminate against “others” is an inevitable part of human nature or a by-product of our culture and politics? How can government best ensure equal rights for all?
In class we discussed Chapter five. In this chapter it discusses the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendment. It also talks about women's rights, affirmative action, integration of schools and the 3 civil rights movements.
Here are a few questions that the students leading class posed to the students:
1. Give examples of de facto segregation and dejure segregation in Dallas metroplex area.
2. Why does discrimination against groups exist in the United States? Do you believe our tendency to discriminate against “others” is an inevitable part of human nature or a by-product of our culture and politics? How can government best ensure equal rights for all?
3. Why does discrimination against gays and lesbians continue today? In what ways is this form of discrimination similar and different to that practiced against African Americans, Latinos, women, and other groups in society?
Today we heard speakers present information about Ch. 4, Civil Liberties. We discussed the vocabulary as well as the chapter, articles and current events pertaining to this topic. After you read over Ch. 4 and get the notes from that class period. Think about and comment on one of the following questions:
1. Would you consider teaching evolution to be imparting a belief, on a child? Why? If not, do you think people are justified in this class?
2. Marketing research is collected by firms and companies based on personal Internet activities (frequent websites visited, search terms, demonstrated interests, etc.) with out user knowledge Do you believe that this violates the implied Constitutional right to privacy? Why or why not?
3. Speculate how the United States would change if the rights given in the First Amendment were removed.